1290 College Street Macon, GA 31201 478-742-8926
The Centenary Story
Founded in 1884, the church now known as Centenary United Methodist Church received its name because its work was begun in the centennial year of organized Methodism in America. The church actually began as a Sunday School, a part of the mission work of Macon Methodism. The Sunday School met in the basement of a residence about a block down Ash Street from Centenary's present location. The original church was a wooden building, octagon in shape, at the corner of Ross and Ash Streets. This building was used for about 15 years and still stands today, though it is now a residence and is sadly in a state of disrepair.